Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques
Author: Dennis Wilcox
This chapter really opened my eyes to show me that so many different groups and laws have to work together in order for a business, organization, etc to run smoothly.
Chapter 3 Notes
- When working in Public Relations you have to have an understanding of the law with which you’re working with.
- “Due Diligence” is something that all Public Relations firms have a legal responsibility to practice.
- Public Relations writers are vulnerable to litigation when it deals with invading an employees’ privacy and in at least five areas: employee news letters, photo releases, product publicity and advertising, media inquiries about employees, and employee blogs and virtual communities.
- Copyright laws protect work from unauthorized use. Most of the time, it is figured that all published works are copyrighted.
- The Federal Trade Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Food and Drug Administration all regulate commercial speech in the interest of public health, safety, and consumer protection.
- It is important to gain and support a helpful, balanced relationship with lawyers and public relations rep.