Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques- by: Dennis L. Wilcox
- A major purpose of public relations is to provide information to the media in hopes that it will be published.
- One who writes stories and places them in the media in the public relations field is often referred to as a publicist.
- Publicists need to know three things: 1. Be thoroughly familiar with traditional journalistic news values. 2. Know there to find news and how to select an angle that would be the most interesting. 3. Be problem solvers and come up with creative publicity tactics that effectively break through a forest of competing messages.
- One of the most important characteristics of news may be timeliness.
- Internal news sources include important papers, periodicals, clipping files, and other published material.
- Sometimes pseudoevents, created events, are developed to generate press.
- Brainstorming sessions are good for generating new creative ideas
- Some ways to create news are contests, stints, and awards, etc.