- Photographs and graphics are very important parts to news releases and feature stories. They add interest and variety and can explain things better than just words.
- A common mistake when taking a publicity picture is posing as a group. Pictures that size should not be sent to general-circulated newspapers or magazines.
- When taking a picture the photographer should move into the central focus of the picture, not away from it.
- Action is important for the reader because it projects movement and the idea that something is happening before your eyes.
- Always use a skilled photographer with professional experience.
- During the photo session: make a list of pictures you want. Know who you need, notify people whose pictures are to be taken, consider lighting, and tell the photographer what you need.
- Most captions that are with a news release are two to four lines in length.