A while back in class Jess Houck from The Tampa Tribune spoke to our PR Applications class discussing some of the basics of public relations and everything a long with it. The tops things Jeff talked to us about were:
- Embargo dates: He told us never to send embargo dates on our news releases, etc.
- Jeff discussed 4 Square which is a networking site.
- He made the point that not everyone will be honest.
- Don’t sell your product or story.
- Developing relationships is really important.
- When e-mailing headlines, use something catchy so that people won’t automatically think it’s spam or delete it.
- Fact to Face is important
- Jeff made the point that relationships are key. It takes time, but it’s a good idea to develop relationships between journalists and pr professionals.
- Deadlines are important to keep. Always submit on time and don’t be late because your story probably won’t make it into whatever media service you submitted it to.
- Jeff really encouraged us to be passionate about whatever it is we are doing or writing.
I really enjoyed Jeff because he made the profession seem tough, but at the same time easy to survive in if we remember simple but key things when working.